172 Fifth Ave #254 Brooklyn NY 11217
Dialogue is a balance of advocacy and inquiry. Advocacy is reasoning with supportive data. Inquiry is suspension of reason and exposing your mental models and heart, giving the other person a “window to your reasoning” and to your humanity”.
Good Dialogue Is:
– An Exchange of ideas and experiences that is so active, effective, highly charged that it leaves none of the participants unchanged.
– Means learning to suspend one’s opinions and judgments in order to truly listen to one another.
– Requires staying in the dialogue, even when one’s closely held beliefs are challenged.
– Requires all participants to contribute from where they are – even half-formed ideas.
– Can result in divergent views converging, discovering a new social intelligence.